Saturday, June 20, 2015

Spring Fling

My newest dresses are inspired by movement.  In the past, I've made sculptural pieces that implied motion, but I wanted to create pieces that would transform with the wearer's movement.  And what better models to use than ballerinas?





To create my Spring Dress, I combined two dresses, one seafoam green dress from Goodwill and one pleated peach vintage gown.




I also created a harness necklace to go with this dress that I made out of a plastic vintage necklace that had the most beautiful flower beads.


AFTER



I went to Italy last fall with one of my best friends, and it has had a definite effect on my recent  designs.  Looking at sculptures and paintings that I'd only seen in pictures in real life absolutely blew my mind.  

The Botticelli paintings in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence were especially breathtaking, I'd loved the paintings before, but the colors and gold details were so much more amazing than I had imagined.
  
"Birth of Venus" by Sandro Boticelli
"Spring" by Sandro Botticelli
The draping details of the statues were equally mesmerizing. 



My friend had to literally drag me away when she got bored waiting for me to finish staring at statues/art/everything.  Everything we saw was inspiring...even the chandelier in our AirBNB!  


I'm hoping to go back to Europe in the fall and stare at many more things...until then, working on tons of new pieces! 


No comments:

Post a Comment